Re[2]: Web Software to use? Beyond Press, FrontPage, Dreamwe

Subject: Re[2]: Web Software to use? Beyond Press, FrontPage, Dreamwe
From: "John Prince" <JPrince -at- e-talkcorp -dot- com>
To: "John Posada" <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:04 -0500

"And in 30 days, when they come to him and say "Dude! Let's see what ya got
so far." and he says "Well, I don't have a page up yet, but GOLLY!!! I
KNOW HOW TO CREATE HYPERLINKS FROM SCRATCH!!""

Really? My wife (a college student) finished the book in two weeks and now knows
how to markup HTML better than most Technical Writers I know. She can create
image maps, server-side includes, layers, and even learned CSS2 by reading the
book.

"True..the right way is to learn the code. However, what do companies want
more...learning or results."

I've always felt you can't produce results until you learn things. That's just
me, I guess.

"Learn on YOUR time. Produce on mine."

First, I seriously doubt this is how most businesses operate. Maybe this is just
a guess, but it seems to me that most businesses give you assignments that are
in your range of expertise. If not, they will provide you with training to get
the job done - right? Think about it, my company doesn't come to me and ask me
to do payroll. And if they did, they would train me rather than say, "Learn on
YOUR time. Produce on mine." I have a suspicion that most companies (at least
successful ones) operate this way.

Second, what's wrong with this person learning on their own time? I've learned a
LOT of things on my own time - and I'm glad I did.

"Let's see...he can learn HTML from scrartch and not have a page or he
could use the same time to learn an application by producing a page and
have a page."

Let's see . . . the learning curve for HTML is about the same as it is for
FrontPage. I repeat, my advice would be to learn HTML in that time frame.

"Aside from the issue of having to do an intranet not knowing html"

Which makes absolutely no sense . . .

"If they understand that he
doesn't know html, they'll be less critical of what it looks like"

Oh, this is good business practice.

As I said, take some time (even if it is your own time) and at least understand
the basics of HTML. Because chances are if you rely solely on an HTML editor,
you'll rue the day you did.

Subject: Re: Web Software to use? Beyond Press, FrontPage, Dreamweave
Author: jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com (John Posada)
Date: 6/9/00 12:48 PM

> ("HTML 4.0 Unleashed" is a good start) and learn HTML. Then do it all in
> Notepad. I promise in the long run you'll be glad you did. The learning

And in 30 days, when they come to him and say "Dude! Let's see what ya got
so far." and he says "Well, I don't have a page up yet, but GOLLY!!! I
KNOW HOW TO CREATE HYPERLINKS FROM SCRATCH!!"

True..the right way is to learn the code. However, what do companies want
more...learning or results.

In the long run yes, but most companies aren't interested in "for the long
run."

Learn on YOUR time. Produce on mine.

Let's see...he can learn HTML from scrartch and not have a page or he
could use the same time to learn an application by producing a page and
have a page.

Aside from the issue of having to do an intranet not knowing html...I'd
suggest leaning while generating results. If they understand that he
doesn't know html, they'll be less critical of what it looks like...it can
always be improved as he learns how to do so.

=====
John Posada
jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com
john -at- tdandw -dot- com
732-291-7811
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
http://photos.yahoo.com

------------------------- Original message header: