Re[2]: Re[2]: Web Software to use? Beyond Press, FrontPage,

Subject: Re[2]: Re[2]: Web Software to use? Beyond Press, FrontPage,
From: "John Prince" <JPrince -at- e-talkcorp -dot- com>
To: "John Posada" <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:53 -0500

"I think it's an insult to web designers everywhere to believe that reading
a book in two weeks and knowing how to create an image map is the same as
designing, laying out, and composing a business-calibre web site."

John, weren't we talking strictly about CODING here?

When did "designing, laying out, and composing" come in to this thread?

When and if she wants to learn about "designing, laying out, and composing"
she'll LEARN that also - just as she LEARNED how markup.

"Staring at a blank screen and entering code for a multipage crosslinked
web site from scratch is different than understanding the theory and
composition of web elements."

Versus how using an HTML editor teaches you the theory and composition of web
elements? I disagree. If anything, it hinders you from learning it. Learning the
core elements of HTML is the best thing a person can for themselves if they are
going to DEVELOP web-sites.

And remember, we are talking about DEVELOPING, not DESIGNING, John.

For what it's worth, I work on the web-development side of things for my
department. I develop XML, Javascript, VBScript+ActiveX, HTML+CSS, you name it.
I have no desire to learn about web-design (our marketing department takes care
of that).

However, when and if I'm ever given the responsibility of web-design, you can be
sure that I will do what I can to learn web-design before trying to "wing it."
And if my company wants me to produce something without learning it, they will
suffer.

I can see some of your points, John, and I'm sure you can see some of mine. I
guess we'll just have to agree to disagree with how this woman should approach
her situation. However, I'm sure we both wish her luck, right? ;-)

-jp

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Web Software to use? Beyond Press, FrontPage, Dre
Author: jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com (John Posada)
Date: 6/12/00 10:24 AM

I think it's an insult to web designers everywhere to believe that reading
a book in two weeks and knowing how to create an image map is the same as
designing, laying out, and composing a business-calibre web site.

Staring at a blank screen and entering code for a multipage crosslinked
web site from scratch is different than understanding the theory and
composition of web elements.

That's like saying that becuase I understand grammer, I can create a
software user manual.
> "And in 30 days, when they come to him and say "Dude! Let's see what ya
> got
> so far." and he says "Well, I don't have a page up yet, but GOLLY!!! I
> KNOW HOW TO CREATE HYPERLINKS FROM SCRATCH!!""
>
> Really? My wife (a college student) finished the book in two weeks and
> now knows
> how to markup HTML better than most Technical Writers I know. She can
> create
> image maps, server-side includes, layers, and even learned CSS2 by
> reading the
> book.

=====
John Posada
jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com
john -at- tdandw -dot- com
732-291-7811
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
http://photos.yahoo.com

------------------------- Original message header: