Re: Trip Reports re: presentations

Subject: Re: Trip Reports re: presentations
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 11:14:33 -0700

Marilynne Smith wrote:

> You are both into controlling your audience.

If so, then actors "control" their audiences.

A presenter's job is to present his or her information so that it
is is informative, interesting and memorable. The best way to
accomplish these goals depends on the presenter, as well as the
current audience.

Presenters who don't "control" an audience in this sense are
either bad presenters or seriously lacking self-awareness.

> If you give me bare bones notes and don't give them to me until after the presentation, then you may
> as well save your paper. Bare bones are for the slides of the
> presentation. The speaker speaks to the topics listed there - the "bare
> bones."

Personally, I agree that notes should be handed out at the start;
if you've been reading the entire thread, you may remember that I
made a flippant comment about giving people something to doodle
on.

However, it's a matter of personal style. Some presenters who are
unsure of their ability to hold an audience's attention may
prefer to hand out the notes at the end. I've seen it work both
ways. Obviously, though, not everyone is going to be pleased, no
matter what you do.

> If you want me to remember you when I've left the room, give me your
> handouts before you start speaking and make the handouts a strong enough
> reference that I can use them later. Once I've heard 8 or 10 presentations
> over 3 days, I need a reminder of your jewels of wisdom, not an outline on
> what you intend to cover.

Some presenters, especially those with academic backgrounds, like
to encourage note-taking. The rationale is that taking notes
makes the audience less passive. Also, not everyone is going to
want a full set of handouts. If you're already familiar with the
topic, you may be happy with the presentation if you come away
with only a couple of new points.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"And if they waste nothing, they can keep their little pile,
And if they say nothing, they will not be on file,
And if they see nothing, no one shall see them,
No one will take down their name."
- Oysterband, "Flatlands"