RE: Structure vs. Substance?

Subject: RE: Structure vs. Substance?
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'Tim Altom'" <taltom -at- simplywritten -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 16:32:52 -0400

We must be defining "content" differently, because I can't see doing
structure without content--you just can't do an outline on nothing and you
can't develop a structure for nothing.

I have to have some idea of what the content is going to be before I can do
any kind of structure. Whether it's an outline for an essay or a complete
set of DTDs, if you don't know what's in it, by at least simple definition,
you won't have a clue about how or why to structure it a certain way. What
does the product do, why does it do it, and why should anyone care? If you
have the answer to that, you have the start of content. If you don't have
an answer, you will have no clue as to whether your structure has successful
communicated the content.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree-I just can't separate content and
structure so completely as you can.