Re: physics

Subject: Re: physics
From: Bill Swallow <bswallow -at- poweradz -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 09:15:25 -0400

<snip>
Sorry. The universe is far and away an empty void, without matter of any
kind. Of course, what matter there is, is structured even if we may not
completely understand the structure, its meaning or purpose. Achieving that
understanding is what physics is all about.
<snip>

Wha?

Damnit Jim, I'm a tech writer, not a physicist!

You have to draw the distinction between information and process. Andrew is right. Without info, process is pointless. I can sit and develop style guides, publishing outlines, procedural skeletons and other structural framework all I want. It ain't gonna do me no good without SOMETHING TO WRITE ABOUT, and without SOMEONE TO WRITE IT FOR. It's the info they want. The structure makes the info presentable. That's it.

What's all the debate about?

Know your audience. Know the subject matter. Know what connections need to be made between the two. Design a structure to facilitate that connection. Implement the process. Don't forget to pick up your pay stub on Friday.

Did I forget anything?

--
Bill Swallow
Technical Writer