Re: The last-minute change (was Re: Structure vs Substance?)

Subject: Re: The last-minute change (was Re: Structure vs Substance?)
From: Chris Hamilton <cah_91 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 11:17:39 -0700 (PDT)

--- SteveFJong -at- aol -dot- com wrote:
>>>But can process help? I think so, if the whole
organization buys in to them. In a customer-focused
process, actual contract language can help prevent
this sort of thing from happening. An up-front design
process also helps reduce down-stream surprises.

Two things:

1. Many downstream surprises are the result of crappy
requirements that don't become apparent until late in
the process. They may manifest themselves in bugs,
design problems or whatever, but if you're going to
use a process, you need to pay attention to
requirements.

2. If nothing else, the process will (you hope) put
into place the mechanism to communicate what the
change is and make sure everyone is on board. It saves
you from having a developer come in and tell you that
you have to say "hey user, we lose data under XYZ
circumstance" only to have marketing say (after the
manuals are out) "why did you say we lose data in a
zero-data-loss product, you stupid, stupid moron?"

Chris (an occasional stupid, stupid moron)

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
http://photos.yahoo.com