RE: Tech Writer screening questions

Subject: RE: Tech Writer screening questions
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "Charter, Tara M." <Charter -dot- Tara -at- mayo -dot- edu>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:37:22 -0700

Charter, | Tara M. wrote:

| How about the following:
|
| > Q: In what instance would you use an imperative vs a continuance vs a
| > directive?
| > A: i don't know = not very experienced
| > A: An imperative is a ____ and is used to ____; A continuance is a ____
| > and is used to _______; A directive is a _____ and is used to ______ =
| > somewhat experienced or freshly graduated from college grammar
| A: A document has quality and depth if all imperatives are followed
| by a continuance and have a directive. An example from my portfolio is
| ______ = experienced
|
| > Q: How do you distinguish prescriptive from descriptive?
| > A: Prescriptive would apply to the writing of requirements while
| > descriptive would apply to the writing of definitions.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems to me these would be
appropriate questions to ask a prospective associate professor of rhetoric,
but certainly not a technical writer. The vast majority of the top tech
writers I've worked with would be unable to answer these.

D.

David Knopf
Knopf Online
Tel: 415.550.8367
E-mail: mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com
Web: http://www.knopf.com

Certified RoboHELP Instructor & Consultant
RoboHELP Community Advisory Board
WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer