RE: Tech Writer screening questions

Subject: RE: Tech Writer screening questions
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "Elizabeth Ross" <beth -at- vcubed -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:44:41 -0700

Elizabeth Ross wrote:

| I'm not asking how to interview a tech writer. I do that, along
| with several
| other folks in my company. What my HR department would like is a list of
| questions and answers that *they* can use to pre-screen
| applicants. The idea
| being that they "weed out" the "unqualified" ones before taking up my time
| to review resumes and interview candidates.

Is this something you actually **want** HR to do? Perhaps you have better HR
people than most. I would not want an HR person with zero knowledge, zero
background, and zero experience with the relevant discipline to determine
who I will and won't interview. My approach to HR would be: please don't ask
them anything whatever about technical writing. Just send me the resumes.

Just one point of view ...

D.

David Knopf
Knopf Online
Tel: 415.550.8367
E-mail: mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com
Web: http://www.knopf.com

Certified RoboHELP Instructor & Consultant
RoboHELP Community Advisory Board
WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer