re: A moment of editorial indecision

Subject: re: A moment of editorial indecision
From: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 08:45:07 -0600

re: ... it just occurred to me that the same folks who don't know which way
is X and which way is Y may be just as confused about what horizontal and
vertical mean. So maybe I should reconsider this. What do you think?

I think that life has prerequisites; why not your product? Perhaps this
question should be ... can there be tech writing without assumptions?
Assumption--an unfairly maligned word, I think. And, I'd reconsider the
assumption "anything that smacks of algebra is off-putting for a lot of
folks." Maybe for a tech writer, but why for someone who would purchase a
product that produces charts? Perhaps an appendix: "What is a chart?" How
about "What is a computer?" "What is a dictionary?" Or ... a terms
glossary.