Re: Tech Writer screening questions

Subject: Re: Tech Writer screening questions
From: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 08:25:48 -0600

re: I'm not asking how to interview a tech writer. ... What my HR
department would like is a list of questions and answers that *they* can use
to pre-screen applicants.

This list has to be really simple. How many years experience? Perhaps HR
can test for competency in a particular tool. HR can review references. I
think that's about it. The HR department is trying to help you, but they
can do only so much, and your experience in the tech writing field is
greater than theirs and must obviously be the final determinant. I'd, in
fact, be surprised if "helping you" is a requirement--you could refuse this
pre-screening help altogether, I assume. You really can't move very much
responsibility from yourself to HR. Same with any occupation. How good can
HR be in screening engineers, programmers, etc.? Not any better than they
can be at screening tech writers, I think. You have the years experience
and tool requirements in mind yourself, and I think there is little extra
this list can offer as regards pre-screening questions; interviews are
another matter.