Re: Tech Writer screening questions

Subject: Re: Tech Writer screening questions
From: Pat Anderson <panders -at- aw -dot- sgi -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 11:28:32 -0400

At 9:24 PM -0400 14/06/00, Dan Roberts wrote:

>I've go for most of Susan Brown's statements, but ....
>
>I'm not quite sure how my interest in bonsai and PWA advocacy reflect my skill
>as a TW. Or are you just looking to make sure the person has a 'life' off the
>computer?

Well, Dan...
I'd say that your interest in bonsai means that you're able to perform short-term tasks with a look to the long term... that you've got at least a modicum of patience... that, outside of the office, at least some of your time is spent in activities that have been shown to reduce blood pressure...

I very seldom find a technical writer who has experience in everything that I'd like ... but outside activities frequently show that they have at least peripheral experience with some things that are useful.

For example, I have one staff member who had little experience, but one of his outside interests was creating short films. So he knows how to outline, storyboard, light a scene, work with people, and understands camera lenses... all which, incidentally, come in handy in our workplace!

...pat.

Pat Anderson,
Documentation Manager, Design Products
Alias|Wavefront
tel: (416) 874-8375
email: panders -at- aw -dot- sgi -dot- com
http://www.aliaswavefront.com