RE: Incorporated: Information Needed

Subject: RE: Incorporated: Information Needed
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: Barry_Kieffer -at- adc -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 13:54:35 -0400

Barry said:

[about a poor, mistreated TW...]
> The company sued him for liable sighting that he caused a delay in the
> release of their product and was therefore liable for the
> companies loss of
> revenue during that period. The company was seeking damages
> for their lost
> projected revenue.
>
> The technical writer's insurance company settled out of court with the
> company for an undisclosed amount.

And then, the TW's premiums went sky-high, or he became
uninsurable?

I think I'd incorporate, under the terms that would best
protect my private assets (well, such as they is... :-)
I'd name my company in a suggestive way.

I may have mentioned this before, but in the skydiving
industry, one of the older and more respected suppliers
of equipment has, as its full company name:

"The Uninsured Relative Workshop, Inc."

I believe they also do a lot of leasing and sub-contracting,
so as to have the minimum of seizable assets -- computerized
cutting tables, sewing equipment, grommet machines, etc.

They are thus protected against law-suits by their obviously
shallow pockets, and by their exemplary reputation in the
industry. Lawyers look at the fact that the company
prez and various staffers are highly respected, are members of
industry-practices organizations, are experienced expert witnesses,
and also keep meticulous records... Then they look at what the
pay-off might be, and how hard it would be to extract anything
from such a target. Then they tell their idiot potential
clients to take a long walk off a short pier.

Might be worth considering.

/kevin