Re: 825 and 925

Subject: Re: 825 and 925
From: "Melissa Girardot" <books -at- paulding-net -dot- com>
To: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 15:56:27 -0000

>>> How does a 9-to-5
>>> workday translate into a 40 hour work week if employees eat lunch?
>>

>With respect to the question of how five 9-5 days adds up to 40
hours, you have to realize that organized labor was much stronger 50
years ago than it is now. The basic idea was that you were entitled to
two 15-minute breaks (paid) and a half-hour lunch (unpaid) in an
8-hour day

Here in the land of the unskilled worker, there are still union
contracts in existence that allow for an 8-hour day, for example 7-3,
with a 20-minute paid lunch. The employee gets paid for 40 hours,
thus accounting for the 40-hour week.

Melissa