Re: Acrobat 4 OnLine Help Deficiencies

Subject: Re: Acrobat 4 OnLine Help Deficiencies
From: Dan Emory <danemory -at- primenet -dot- com>
To: FrameSGML -at- egroups -dot- com, FrameSGML -at- egroups -dot- com, "Free Framers" <framers -at- omsys -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 22:13:42 -0700

At 12:50 PM 6/18/00 +1000, Marcus Carr wrote:

Dan Emory wrote:

> Below is the procedure on pages 111-112 of the Acrobat 4 Online Guide
> regarding the
> setup of Distiller PPD's on Windows Platforms. I have annotated the
> information where
> it is erroneous, misleading, or incomplete. This example typifies the total
> inadequacy of
> Adobe's documentation of the Acrobat product.

One posting on this topic I can regard as an ignorable annoyance, but two is an
off-topic thread. This has precious little to do with FrameMaker+SGML and as it's
being cross-posted to at least three lists (none of which deal exclusively with
PDF) it borders on spam. Please direct further rants of this nature to a more
appropriate group.
Well now Marcus, I think you're the one who's ranting. Given the huge volume
of postings on all three of the lists regarding PDF problems and other problems
relating to Acrobat 4.0, I think it is entirely appropriate to discuss one of the main
reasons, which is the inadequacy of Adobe's online Guide and other documentation
for Acrobat 4 and the new 4.3.1 postscript printer driver.

Not only that, but I provided what I think is helpful information about how to find and
use the 4.3.1 postscript printer driver setup program, which, unlike earlier versions, doesn't
get installed on the user's computer when the 4.3.1 driver is installed. Instead, you must
go to the CD for it. Also, I discussed the fact that the CD has four Distiller PPDs for Asian
languages which also don't get installed, and which are unmentioned in the documentation
that is presented at the end of the 4.3.1 driver installation. I have seen at least two postings
in the last week from people having trouble producing PDFs for asian languages, and
the information I provided in my post may explain their problem.

If you were really concerned about PDF issues being off-topic, you'd have about 20
opportunities a day to complain. What makes mine different is that I was
directly critical of the Adobe product itself. When launching ad hominem attacks
on postings critical of Adobe or its products, I think you should reveal your business
connections to Adobe so that everyone is aware that your motivations may be
more "complex" than they might otherwise appear to be.
| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
Voice/Fax: 949-722-8971 E-Mail: danemory -at- primenet -dot- com
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646
majordomo -at- omsys -dot- com with "subscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.