Re: FrameMkr question-formats

Subject: Re: FrameMkr question-formats
From: Dan Emory <danemory -at- primenet -dot- com>
To: "EXT-Frick, Geri" <Geri -dot- Frick -at- PSS -dot- Boeing -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 23:15:14 -0700

At 04:17 PM 6/20/00 -0700, EXT-Frick, Geri wrote:

How can I (can I) update a single format in FrameMaker? I'm not very familiar with this program, but here's what I'm trying to do. I have one document where I've changed the "tag" style (oops, format). Now I want to just open each of the other docs in the book and copy (or import) that one style to the second doc. All I can figure out how to do is to import the entire catalog of formats. Can I just bring one in? I'm usually working in Word, so I am having a hard time with FrameMaker's terminology.
=====================================
1. Open a new blank document in FrameMaker.
2. Open the Paragraph Catalog, and delete all tags so that the catalog is empty.
3. In one of your existing documents where you've changed the format of the "tag" paragraph tag, put the cursor in the paragraph, Do Edit > Copy Special > Paragraph Format.
4. Paste the paragraph format into the first line of the blank document created in step 1.
5. With the cursor in the first line of the blank document, open the Paragraph Designer, and choose Commands > New Format. If the Tag slot in the New Format dialog is empty, type in the tagname of the paragraph format you' re going to import into all the files of the book, turn on Store in Catalog and Apply to Selection, and click the Create button.

You've now created what I call a "surrogate template" whose sole purpose is to update a particular subset (in this case one paragraph tag) of the tags defined in the catalogs of the master template. With this surrogate template open, open the book file. Then, choose File>Import Formats. In the Formats dialog, select the surrogate template as the update source, turn on Paragraph Formats and turn off all other formats. Move all of the files in the book into the update list, and click apply. The only update action performed will be the updating of the paragraph format named "tag" to the new format defined in the surrogate template.
| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
Voice/Fax: 949-722-8971 E-Mail: danemory -at- primenet -dot- com
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646
majordomo -at- omsys -dot- com with "subscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.