RE: imperative/continuance/directive (was: Tech Writer screening questions)

Subject: RE: imperative/continuance/directive (was: Tech Writer screening questions)
From: "Guy A. McDonald" <guy -at- nstci -dot- com>
To: "Win Day" <winday -at- home -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 08:21:32 -0500

Win Day wrote -

> When a client calls and proposes a contract, I tell them what my rate
> is. Period. I am slightly flexible, depending on the contract and the
> location. But I get the rate I want, or I don't take the contract.

And that is the a wonderful aspect of being a contractor. Recently, I
refused a contract not because of rate - but because I will not play fireman
or cleanup batter and try to raise a family.

Specifically, the company agreed to my rate but not my schedule. They needed
someone to put their life on hold and help the company out of a hole. When I
was a junior writer, that contract would be acceptable because I needed the
experience. However, at this point in my career I am not willing to work in
an environment that rates as a negative integer on the CMM scale. Don't take
my comments wrong - I know both sides of the coin and do not begrudge anyone
for making a buck.

However, if you are in a chaotic environment fed by the flames of crisis, I
urge you to do yourself and all contractors a favor ...

Adjust your rate UPWARD considerably!

Guy McDonald (going captive for a few years - my wife and kids are happy)
Happy Father's Day to the rest of you lug-heads
- and -
Give my regards to Joe the Bellhop at the Marriott
=,-)