PDF to QXD -- Summary

Subject: PDF to QXD -- Summary
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 06:55:16 -0700 (PDT)

OK. I got a decent # of responses. Unfortunately, for
now it looks like I have to export to a text file and
rebuild the file. :( But... perhaps the source file
will turn up before I have to do that.

Here are the responses I got (edited):

======================================

jarnopol -at- interaccess -dot- com wrote:

i have no idea really. but the subject of
your post made a tune from "Hair" come to
my mind.
"LBJ took the IRT down to (something) USA
when he got there what did he find?
the youth of America on LSD"

--------------------------------------

Melissa -dot- Fisher -at- delta-air -dot- com wrote:

I believe you can copy and paste text to your heart's
content. if the document is set up in columns, you
probably won't want to do this. As I recall, Acrobat
doesn't copy in columns, it copies line by line from
far left to far right no matter how many columns there
may be. if Quark can read a .ps or .eps file you
should be able to print the .pdf to a file and import
that way. If you have Adobe Illustrator, Illustrator
can read and edit .eps files and ..pdf files, but I
don't know if that includes being able to edit the
text as you would expect a word processor to do.

Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com wrote:

Go to the PDF zone (http://www.pdfzone.com). There are
tools that will reverse the PDF to ASCII and maybe
RTF. I think most tools require that PostScript fonts
were used to create the PDF . . . or that the fonts
were embedded, or something like that. Checkout PDFfix
and Gemini Export, amongst others.

spearson -at- espial -dot- com wrote:

Depending on whether or not you have copying
abilities, you could copy and paste it into Quark, but
this can be an arduous task. What you can do is go to
Adobe's site to get a listing of the tools you can buy
that can extract a PDF's content to an editable form.
in the Acrobat Distiller/Reader forum (not sure
which), there's a FAQ section that addresses this
issue (apparently a lot of ppl want this
functionality), and that's where you can get a listing
of tools that extract PDF content.

margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net wrote:

I think the best you can do is open the PDF in Adobe
Illustrator. You can edit (laboriously) in AI. Second
choice would be to use the selection tools in Acrobat
to grab text blocks and graphics, then paste them into
QX.

janetv -at- systech -dot- com wrote:

try the PDF list at http://www.pdfzone.com/.

droberts63 -at- earthlink -dot- net wrote:

look for something on www.pdfzone.com to see
if there is a suitable tool, at least to extract
the text (at least into plain text) and graphics.
I'm sure you'll have to do some rework.

kittenbreath -at- hotbot -dot- com wrote:

I am MOST interested to hear if this is possible.

zdunczyk -at- lucent -dot- com wrote:

there is a plug-in called Redwing that will
extract the text from a pdf and place it in
a text file.

http://im.yahoo.com/