RE: unwelcome downloads (sorta long)

Subject: RE: unwelcome downloads (sorta long)
From: jknebel -at- ospreyus -dot- com
To: jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 09:44:18 -0400

Jo and other Techwr-Lrs,

I went and spoke to our Technical Architects in our Hosting Practice, and
they gave me the following unsettling answer.

Yes, this can be done easily. It uses the same technology as some viruses
do.

Software is available that scans the internet for open ports (either at an
ISP, a personal computer, etc.) once they locate an open port, they can push
unwanted content onto your computer.

So, they suggested installing a firewall (which several are available as
freeware/shareware or really cheap for personal use)

By having file sharing turned on (which I don't know if you do), and being
connected to the internet you open yourself up for these kinds of attacks.
It's something to be aware of, and cautious about.

Hope this helps,
Jhan
(Glad that I am working closely with the Hosting practice right now!)
Jhan A. Knebel
Technical Writer, Enterprise Management Solutions
jknebel -at- ospreyUS -dot- com (704) 943-7950
http://www.ospreyUS.com