The importance of good tech writers

Subject: The importance of good tech writers
From: "Jessica N. Lange" <jlange -at- oee -dot- com>
To: "TechWR-L" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 07:41:10 -0400

So I'm reading thru' another list this morning, and a message
about really bad Online help made me think of many
discussions on *this* list.

"ColdFusion Studio will automatically convert MS Word
documents to HTML... I was lucky enough to stumble
across documentation on it yesterday....

"To stumble across it you have to read the helpfile
on "Visual Editing In Design Mode" which is probably
not where you are going to look if you are trying to
figure out how to convert Word documents."

I'm quite sure that no-one on THIS list was responsible for
authoring that help file. I'll go further--I doubt if the author
of that help file was trained as a TW. It seems to me that
at the *very least* there should have been a heading in the
TOC or index entries explicitly saying "Converting Word to
HTML"! Gosh, isn't Word to HTML conversion one of the
*most* desired features of any software?!

This is the kind of online help file that makes people hate
computers and *never* use the online help!

Jessica