The importance of good tech writers

Subject: The importance of good tech writers
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 12:28:36 -0700

"Jessica N. Lange" <jlange -at- oee -dot- com> wrote:

>This is the kind of online help file that makes people hate
>computers and *never* use the online help!

You should see the level of help in the Linux world. Since Linux
was a hobbyist's operating system until recently, the standards
of help (or of any documentation) are very low. In an article
that's just come out, I describe one company's documentation as
"crazier than the old uncle who you keep locked up in the attic."

And that was the polite version of my opinion.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"At the sick bed of Cuhullain,
We'll kneel and say a prayer,
When the ghosts are rattling at the door
And the devil's in the chair."
- The Pogues