Re: HTML Help help, please?

Subject: Re: HTML Help help, please?
From: "Jeanne A. E. DeVoto" <jaed -at- jaedworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 16:21:39 -0700

At 8:44 AM -0700 7/7/2000, Becca Price wrote:
>Can someone help me interpret: the following lines?
>
><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2
>Final//EN">

This is a doctype, a declaration of the version of HTML used by the page.
It is used by validators to determine whether the page is valid HTML of
whatever version, and by some browsers to determine how to render the page,
and is required for valid HTML documents. This one alleges that the
document is written in HTML 3.2.

><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" Content="text/html;
>charset=Windows-1252">

This line in the <head> declares that the character set the document is
written in is codepage 1252 - which is the Windows-specific version of
ISO-Latin. The standard Windows character set, in other words.

By default, HTML documents are assumed to be in ISO-Latin, which is mostly
the same as codepage 1252 except for some special characters such as curved
quotes.

><OBJECT TYPE="application/x-oleobject"
>CLASSID="clsid:1e2a7bd0-dab9-11d0-b93a-00c04fc99f9e">
> <PARAM NAME="Keyword" VALUE="Tile Vertical command
>(Window menu)">
></OBJECT>

An ActiveX thingie. I know little of ActiveX.

><A NAME="hlp_window_tilevert"></A>
>(this one has me stumped: I'm not sure what the
>utility of a tag with nothing between the <a> and </a>
>tags is)

This is what's called a named anchor, a way of defining a spot in the
document that can be referred to by another URL. For example, if your
document is "http://www.example.com/stuff.html";, you can use the URL
"http://www/example.com/stuff.html#hlp_window_tilevert"; to link straight to
this spot in the document.

>sometimes the <A NAME= tags are encolsed in
><SUP></SUP> tags.

Superscript. Your guess is as good as mine here. (Rogue WYSIWYG editor?)

--
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ jaed -at- jaedworks -dot- com
http://www.jaedworks.com