Re: HTML Help help, please?

Subject: Re: HTML Help help, please?
From: Kathleen Dickason <notagoth -at- execpc -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 16:16:44 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Becca Price <becca_price -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2000 10:44 AM
Subject: HTML Help help, please?

> I've inherited an HTML Help project, and am trying to
> fugure out what my predecessor did. I thought I was
> pretty good with HTML, but some of the tags are new to
> me!
>
> Can someone help me interpret: the following lines?
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2
> Final//EN">

This is SGML, technically, but it just means that the document
conforms to the Document Type Definition (DTD) defined by the World Wide

Web Consortium (W3C) for HTML 3.2.

> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" Content="text/html;
> charset=Windows-1252">

type to the browser...the http_equiv attribute names the name/value pair
in
the MIME document header that the browser sees before it sees the
document itself.

> <OBJECT TYPE="application/x-oleobject"
> CLASSID="clsid:1e2a7bd0-dab9-11d0-b93a-00c04fc99f9e">
> <PARAM NAME="Keyword" VALUE="Tile Vertical command
> (Window menu)">
> </OBJECT>

You can use <object> to embed something (like a Java applet)
in the way you'd use <embed> or <applet>. Classid tells you where the
object is (location).

> <A NAME="hlp_window_tilevert"></A>
> (this one has me stumped: I'm not sure what the
> utility of a tag with nothing between the <a> and </a>
> tags is)

Using the name attribute with an anchor tag marks a place
within the document rather than making a hyperlink, so you don't need
anything between the open and close tags. Elsewhere in the document is
there a
set of tags that looks something like

> sometimes the <A NAME= tags are encolsed in
> <SUP></SUP> tags.

These make superscript, so the enclosed text will be about half
a line higher.

> Thanks much!

Hope this helps a bit.. :/

> Is there a list similar to winhlp-l for html help?
> -Becca

I don't know about a list, but I can cheerfully recommend
_HTML: The Definitive Guide_ by Musciano and Kennedy... it's an
O'Reilly
book. (Yay!)

Kathleen