Re: Auto numbering in Page numbers

Subject: Re: Auto numbering in Page numbers
From: "Madeline Bechtold" <talking_rain -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 11:49:00 PDT

Hi Shweta,

What you described sounds like the {NUMPAGES} field bug which affected both Word 97 and 2000. I've encountered it, too.

For info on Microsoft's SR-1 fix and other workarounds, see

http://www.microsoft.com/office/sup/support.asp?lu=1&prd=word

Unfortunately, if you're distributing your document widely, these solutions probably won't really help you. That is, it won't be practical for every user to install SR-1, and instructing users to update fields manually or to disable background printing seems rather unwieldy to me.

You might be able to write a Word VBA macro that automatically updates document fields prior to printing. However, I believe you can distribute macros only to users who designate you as a trusted source and/or who set their machines to medium or low security in (Word) Tools > Macro > Security.

What a nuisance! Up to now, I've dealt with the problem by simply not using the {NUMPAGES} field in my documents...

Good luck!

Madeline Bechtold
talking_rain -at- hotmail -dot- com

From: "Shweta G Bhatia" <shwetagbhatia -at- dominomail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Subject: Auto numbering in Page numbers
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 13:14:15 GMT

Hi all !!

I am facing a weird problem in MS-Word 97. I have a document where the pages
are numbered in the format 'Page X of Y'. Now every time I make changes in
the document the 'Y' appears as 1 (one) though the number of total pages are
more. Thus it would appear as 'Page 34 of 1'. Everytime I have to update this
field to get the right figure. Could you please decipher what is the problem
and suggest me the solution.

Thanks in advance.

Shweta G Bhatia
Technical Writer