RE: naming conventions for images

Subject: RE: naming conventions for images
From: Melissa Kucbel-Saumier <melissaks -at- eicon -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:19:44 -0400

Hello,

I sorta have to disagree with part of Jeff's post...

> The file names should be as short as
> possible. If they're ever used on a Unix machine, for
> example, they are limited to the 8.3 convention. Also,
> if they ever go on line, spaces are not permitted
> either.
Good point!

> The conventional way to name figures (and tables) is
> numerically by chapter.
>
> Table 1-1 is the first table in chapter 1.
> Figure 99-44 is the 44th figure in chapter 99.
Seems to involve quite a bit of work. If I am looking for the name of
a capture on the 100th page of my chapter, this means that I have to
count all previous captures to get the information?

> I usually name files using a short description.
> "Queue.jpg." for example. Variations of this image are
> "Queue1," "Queue2," et cetera. If the image is of
> something like a hard drive, I shorten it to "hdrive."
I like this part. This is what I usually do. If I have a capture of
the Properties tab in the Services dialog bog, I would call it
something like SrvProp.gif. Another capture on the Connection tab of
the same dialog box would be SrvConn.gif. It is not always that
intuitive, but it is easier to work with than Image1.gif!

> Another possible naming convention is to use the page
> number the image appears on (if it's known).
OK if you have page numbers, but what happens if your page number
45 in FrameMaker becomes part of Services.html after a conversion
into Web-based help? Because the original poster was mentioning
.gifs, I don't think using the page number is an option...

Just my opinion...
Melissa Kucbel-Saumier
melissaks -at- eicon -dot- com