Re: naming conventions for images

Subject: Re: naming conventions for images
From: Jane Credland <jane -dot- credland -at- quintus -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 13:33:19 -0700

Jeff Hanvey wrote:

> Disagree. The file names should be as short as
> possible. If they're ever used on a Unix machine, for
> example, they are limited to the 8.3 convention. Also,
> if they ever go on line, spaces are not permitted
> either.

We don't worry too much about 8.3 file names, because we rarely need to
port our graphics to UNIX.

> The conventional way to name figures (and tables) is
> numerically by chapter.

Only in the book itself, not when you're naming the image file.

> Another possible naming convention is to use the page
> number the image appears on (if it's known).
>
> For example, 432_1.bmp is the first bitmap on page
> 432. You could also use 432top.bmp, 432toprt.bmp, and
> 432botrt.bmp.

Given what happened in our last release, I'd spend hours and hours
renaming image files every time one more image or chapter was added to
my book.

I think the most important thing is to figure out a standard method for
naming images and sticking to it. That way, the next person to come
along can get a pretty good idea of the image from the file name.

Jane
jane -dot- credland -at- quintus -dot- com