re: Mouseover drop-down menu: HierMenu from Webreference.com

Subject: re: Mouseover drop-down menu: HierMenu from Webreference.com
From: Mike McGraw <mmcgraw -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 18:01:38 -0700

For an excellent (and free) dropdown menu, visit the DHTML section of the Webreference site and look for their HierMenu tool. It's completely customizable and the Webref folks have provided pages and pages of training and documentation for the tool, which they continue to improve.

You can set the menu to unfold with mouseovers (it closes up again as you move outside a box) or to require clicks to open and close boxes. I built a three-level menu with close to 150 separate links. The top level shows only 8 links, each of which unfold into 5-10 more, each of which....etc.

Here's the site: http://webreference.com/dhtml/hiermenus/

More details: I wanted to find a pulldown menu that would give users of an extensive engineering archive access from the top page deep into the site. I discovered Webref's Hierarchical Menu and with a little bit of playing around, got it working. One downside I ran into was that when I incorporated this neat pulldown menu on a page, every time I visited that page the menu needed 20 seconds or more to rebuild. The solution was to put the menu in a popup window that builds once and remains available. Links in the menu all target my main page. Here's the code fragment to build the menu window:

<!-- start popup menu code -->
<A HREF="top_menu.htm" onclick="window.open('top_menu.htm','menu_window','width=350,height=400,directories=no,location=no,menubar=yes,scrollbars=no,status=yes,toolbar=yes,resizable=yes,left=0,top=0,screenX=0,screenY=0');self.close();return false">Build popup menu in a new window</A>
<!-- end of popup menu code -->

And here's the format used for links in the file hierArray.js to target the main window:

arMenu1_1 = new Array(
"Workflows","javascript:newWindow('Workflow/index.html')",1,
"Design Tools","javascript:newWindow('Tools/index2.html')",1,
)

- Mike McGraw, San Diego, CA -

At 10:53 PM 7/11/00 +0530, Ashu Saini wrote:

Hello,

I need to incorporate a drop-down menu that contains hyperlinked menu
options in my web document. This is a mouse over drop-down. Does anyone of
you have the script for such a menu or is it available anywhere on the net.
This should work in both the browsers - NE and IE.
Thanks in anticipation
Regards
Ashu Saini

Mike McGraw