Re: OT: IE 5 *required* for accessing a web site?!

Subject: Re: OT: IE 5 *required* for accessing a web site?!
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 12:32:23 -0700 (PDT)

> > > I agree with you except for one word... I'd change "the ability
> of
> > > FP" to "the
> > > tendency of FP." Makes a difference (IMHO).
> >
> > Well, it IS an MS product. I'd expect that Netscapes Composer
> places
> > priority on NS elements?
>
> IMHO, neither of them should promote elements that only work in one
> browser,

Why not? Neither MS nor NS are in this for anything but profit. If
they could make more profit making paper snow cone cups, they'd be
doing that instead. Besides...I'm sure that both of them feel that
what they are doing is the right way..not just opposed to the other's
way. If I'm either of them, I want to be the sole heir to the HTML
fortunes (it's only DOJ that doesn't agree with that concept).

Besides...only a few elements DON'T WORK in one or the other..they
just display "differently". OTOH, it depends on what you mean by
"don't work". For example, it's not that some table format controls
that you have in NS and not in IE don't work in IE, they just aren't
there.

XML for ie5 doesn't NOT WORK in NS, it just doesn't exist.

- how's THAT for marketing double-speak :-)

> while leading novice users to think everyone will see exactly what
> they're
> seeing on their monitors (I know FP does this, I don't know about

It's pretty close, especialy if you click the Preview tab. (will even
"show" javascript inserts) Besides...a novice wouldn't care about the
variation between the two displays...most novices are besides
themselves when their page even shows in a browser. It's only the
intermediate and expert webbers that 1) see the difference and 2)
care.

> NC). But I
> live in a fantasy land.

But it is a much happier place, no? (at least mine is).

=====
John Posada
Technical Writer
mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com
732-259-2874

Only in America... do they have drive-up ATM machines
with Braille lettering

http://mail.yahoo.com/