RE: Bug tracking systems as information repositories

Subject: RE: Bug tracking systems as information repositories
From: "Fagerlund, Kippi" <Kippi_Fagerlund -at- NAI -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 12:45:24 -0700

The pubs group I manage uses both bug tracking
and source control programs, along with the rest of
Engineering. These tools include VSS and StarTeam, and
ClearQuest and ClearCase.

One reason I like using bug tracking for documentation
is that it reinforces the perception that we are part
of Engineering, and therefore use the same tools (and
presumably are held to some of the same standards) as
development and QA. It's also a way to keep things
from falling through the cracks.

Not everything that's entered as a bug must be fixed.
Some are deferred, or dismissed as "as designed", etc.
Some are reassigned as software issues and vice versa.

We primarily enter bugs during the beta review phase, though
anytime is fair game. And only QA, which reviews both software
and documentation, can close out a bug after its fix is
verified.

Of course things can get out of hand if the manner in which
the system is used isn't reviewed and adjusted if necessary.
But I would recommend trying it before rejecting it.

Source control is another matter -- and a tool I wouldn't be
without, even within my own writing group.

regards,

Kippi

Kippi Fagerlund
PGP Security