Re: Word links

Subject: Re: Word links
From: Dianne Blake <write-it -at- home -dot- com>
To: Techwriter <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 15:11:40 -0700

Emru Townsend wrote:
If you'd rather have it on but want to stop one or two links from
appearing as you type, hit Ctrl-Z right after the link appears.

To make any text into a hyperlink, select the text and press Ctrl-K.

-----------

I've had the problem of wanting to turn the little buggers off because
the programmers I work with use the @ sign to denote a command versus a
value (e.g. <tag>= -at- command vs <tag>=myvalue).

I kept going up to the hyperlink button on the toolbar to turn each one
of them off. This is frustrating to a touch typist. But I didn't want to
turn the feature off because we use our and other company URLs in
several places in the document (especially to link to other documents).

***** >> The Ctrl+Z keystrokes work wonderfully.

***** >> The Ctrl+K however requires a two step process.

* If you highlight the text and press Ctrl+K, the Insert Hyperlink
dialog box appears. Notice that it inserts "mailto:"; to your
text. This means you have to delete it before pressing enter.

* If you don't highlight the text and place your cursor directly
behind the text - Word doesn't recognize what word you want to
convert, so then when the Insert Hyperlink dialog box appears,
you have to type the link, or select it from a list before
pressing enter.

My preference here would be my old standby - select the text and then
press the Insert Hyperlink button on the toolbar. No dialog box appears,
it knows what text is to be hyperlinked, and no unwanted "mailto:"; text
is inserted.

** HOWEVER ** the Ctrl+Z tip is worth a lot because I leave the
hyperlink feature on and seldom have a need to turn a link back on once
it's been turned off. This should make my life a lot simplier! Thanks!

Dianne Blake
write-it -at- home -dot- com