Re: OT? Printing a Book

Subject: Re: OT? Printing a Book
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 23:24:01 -0700 (PDT)

"Carol Anne Wall" wrote ...

> I've volunteered to write a 25 year history of the adoption agency we used
> recently to adopt our daughter. I've met with the agency director and we
> have set a scope, format (softcover), rough timeline, and have an outline.
> Now I need to find out what it will cost to get the book printed. I've
> never done this before (my employer doesn't publish its documentation), and
> neither has the director.

>snip<

I had a teacher in college who said "you are a nothing as an artist until you
can produce results." I think that applies here. Just write the book. Worry
about making it pretty later.

Tools, artwork, and layout are pretty irrelevant until you have some actual
content. It is *much* easier to reorganize existing text than to plan it all
out in advance. There's a good chance you'll change your mind about the
structure along the way anyway.

Nobody is going to read the book because it has a stellar use of page
numbering. They're going to read it because it is actually interesting.

Results first, art second, fame third. That's how it works.

Andrew Plato

Packed with creamy family values: http://members.home.com/aplato

http://mail.yahoo.com/