RE: OT? Printing a Book

Subject: RE: OT? Printing a Book
From: Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 07:45:09 -0400

There's nothing at all wrong with asking how to go about doing something
before you actually set about doing it. I'd hate to hire an builder who had
the philosophy of "I'll start building rooms and I can just rearrange them
later." Having an idea of costs, limitations and possibilities is a great
foundation for starting any project.

Maybe Carol should be looking at 16 or 24 pages, maybe the agency wants a
couple of hundred pages. There needs to be some idea of the content as well
as some idea of the finished product before the project gets too far along.
Why spend bunches of hours researching for dozens and dozens of pages if
really all that is wanted/needed is a very small book.

On Wednesday, July 26, 2000 2:24 AM, Andrew Plato
[SMTP:intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com] wrote:

> I had a teacher in college who said "you are a nothing as an artist until
you
> can produce results." I think that applies here. Just write the book.
Worry
> about making it pretty later.
>
> Tools, artwork, and layout are pretty irrelevant until you have some
actual
> content. It is *much* easier to reorganize existing text than to plan it
all
> out in advance. There's a good chance you'll change your mind about the
> structure along the way anyway.
>
> Nobody is going to read the book because it has a stellar use of page
> numbering. They're going to read it because it is actually interesting.
>
> Results first, art second, fame third. That's how it works.
>
> Andrew Plato
>
> Packed with creamy family values: http://members.home.com/aplato

Tom Johnson
Technical Writer
Elk Rapids Engineering Div., Star Cutter Company

johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com - work
thomasj -at- freeway -dot- net - personal