Re: "not technical enough"

Subject: Re: "not technical enough"
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:53:56 -0700

"Jane" <judydh -at- total -dot- net> wrote:

>For those that I haven't, including one that they said they were extending
>an offer to me but they just changed their minds, I've often gotten the
>feedback that I "wasn't technical enough".
>
>In the context of technical writing as the job, what the hell does that
>mean?

Possible interpretations:

1.) You don't have the tool knowledge that we need.

2.) You don't have enough knowledge of the technology that the
company works in.

3.) We've decided not to hire you, but we don't care to give the
real reason.

If you're hearing this comment repeatedly, you might want to
consider whether you're applying for the right sort of job.

Otherwise, all that really matters is that you're not being
hired. You'll never know when a company is telling you the truth
about why you're not hired anyway.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Better a good run than a bad stand." -James Keelaghan