RE: "not technical enough"

Subject: RE: "not technical enough"
From: "Humbird, LenX" <lenx -dot- humbird -at- intel -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "'judydh -at- total -dot- net'" <judydh -at- total -dot- net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 10:14:47 -0700

> "Jane" <judydh -at- total -dot- net> wrote:
>
> >For those that I haven't, including one that they said they
> were extending
> >an offer to me but they just changed their minds, I've often
> gotten the
> >feedback that I "wasn't technical enough".
> >
> >In the context of technical writing as the job, what the
> hell does that
> >mean?

Could mean that... you're not pretty enough, not liberal enough, not
conservative enough, too ethnic, too Barbie, no corporate values, dubious
education, sweaty palms, toner streaks on your face, skewed writing samples,
torn shirt (paying homage to Jeff Hanvey's "Interview from Hell" post), etc.

Get the point? They could use that reason for concealing pretty much any
real reason they want. Of course, they might actually have a legitimate
technical reason, but you can't tell unless you call them and ask questions.
And even then you might get the runaround. In any case, write it off as a
place you'd be better off not working at anyway.

Len