RE: A bit of clearing up on final reviews

Subject: RE: A bit of clearing up on final reviews
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'Sierra Godfrey'" <kittenbreath -at- hotbot -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:07:31 -0400

Sierra,

Your troubles with SME's seem to be on-going--everybody there seems to think
they're an editor :). Here's several ideas to consider.

1) Give them as close to print-ready as possible, but make sure they
understand it's a courtesy for both of you. If you choose not to
incorporate their obsessive corrections then so be it. Trying to maintain a
good working relationship is important, but you're a writer not a doormat.
Make it clear that final review is the last time they can make substantive
changes, and the pre-print is merely for proofing-a favor you'd be happy to
accept, but not really a part of their "official" duties as reviewer.

2) If they continue to make your life miserable here's one I love. After
going around with several drafts with markups, give them back your
"original" (the draft you're happiest with), unmarked. Make sure you do it
at the last moment they'd think it'd be possible to make the changes.
Chances are they'll sign off on something they "corrected" several drafts
back. No kidding, it has worked for me in the past.

3) If you choose not to let them see print-ready copy, have a secretary or
admin assistant proof it for you. They typically have eagle eyes and can
catch those little things.

I hope it gets better for you!

Connie Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
704-330-2069
e-mail: Connie -dot- Giordano -at- fmr -dot- com

- Arthur C. Clarke