Re: "not technical enough"

Subject: Re: "not technical enough"
From: AndrewWatt2000 -at- aol -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 05:00:31 EDT

In a message dated 27/07/00 06:16:33 GMT Daylight Time, judydh -at- total -dot- net
writes:
<<
OK, here's the next step: I was thinking through the last round of

interviews (this would be excellent to counteract any non-technical

impressions) that I needed a question sheet of my own to ask my interviewers

about their company and technology. Does anybody else have a canned sheet

like this, or a couple of trusty questions to grill or impress the

interviewers?

Jane,

I have been watching this discussion with interest.

It perhaps isn't a precise fit with your question but I would suggest asking
the interviewers precisely what it is that they want the [documentation/user
manuals/whatever] to communicate and to whom, perhaps prefacing the question
with an indication that the job description gives you only a very general or
imprecise notion of what *exactly* they want. Whether you get clear answers
to that question or (perhaps just as likely) there is some shuffling of
papers and lowered eyes as the interviewers try to hide the fact that this
hasn't been thought through will tell you a lot about how clear the
interviewers are about the writing task and, implicitly, about the skills
needed to do it.

Follow up questions depend very much on the level of answer you get and your
personality. Your follow up to an answer such as "Oh ... em ... we want
somebody to write the documentation" is probably very different from the
situation where you get a clear description of what is needed. If you get a
very vague answer then you have an opportunity to shine by providing a clear
analytical answer to the question you asked. If in doing that you can list
the necessary skills and then show how you are a good match it has to help in
situations where the potential employer is genuinely open to the best
solution.

Andrew Watt