Re: SourceSafe and referenced graphics

Subject: Re: SourceSafe and referenced graphics
From: "Stephen Forrest" <techwriter -at- attglobal -dot- net>
To: "Tech Writers List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "Andrew Angelopoulos" <angelopoulos -at- csi -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:57:38 -0400

Yes, that's what I do, too, when I'm working alone. The problem now is
that we have three writers working on the same set of manuals. All of us
must be able to open documents and work with the graphics.

We use FrameMaker, which does not have an interface with Visual
SourceSafe, so getting a file from VSS and opening it in FM are two
different operations. This means that all of us would have to mirror the
VSS directory tree on our hard drives, but it also means that we would
have to "get" all the graphics for a chapter file every time we open
that chapter file, to ensure we have the latest graphics.

This would be time-consuming and would create network traffic.

The only alternative I've thought of is to keep the graphics on a
network drive, so all of us can link to the source graphics, which would
work OK for us, but would create problems when we archive the files and
someone tries to open them later.

All help is greatly appreciated, TIA

From: Andrew Angelopoulos <angelopoulos -at- csi -dot- com>
Date: Saturday, July 29, 2000 3:25 PM