Re: SourceSafe and referenced graphics

Subject: Re: SourceSafe and referenced graphics
From: "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- teleport -dot- com>
To: Stephen Forrest <techwriter -at- attglobal -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 14:39:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Stephen Forrest wrote:

> ... checking out files and opening them in FM are two
> different operations.

Yes.

> If the graphics are stored in VSS, a copy of them must exist on the hard
> drive in order for a chapter file to be opened correctly. I might mirror
> the whole project tree on my hard drive, but I would have to "get" all
> the files (including graphics) each time that I wanted to work on a
> file, to ensure I have the latest graphics.

As others have written, this works fine. For each writer, the model would
be:

1. "Get" everything at the start of the day.

2. Work on doc and graphics files, adding, deleting, and modifying as
needed over the course of the day, and uploading changes to the VSS
archive if anyone else needs them immediately.

3. Check in everything at the end of the day.

> Aside from being a huge waste of time, it would also create a lot
> of network traffic.

I don't think it's a waste of time--in fact, I think it's the best way to
use SourceSafe. (I haven't tried the "compile directly from SourceSafe"
method one respondent mentioned.)

> ...I could keep the graphics on a network drive, and each of the team
> members could link directly to the source graphic.

I wouldn't advocate this method. Keeping *all* the project files in
SourceSafe is too valuable a way to "package" and label everything in a
document.

The problems you mention are really no different than those faced by
developers working on huge software projects involving hundreds of source
files, include files, object libraries, and so on. I can't imagine the
developers deciding to leave some of the program code out of SourceSafe
just to cut down on network traffic.

Try it!

--David

David M. Brown - Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com

HTML Indexer 3, still the easiest way to create and maintain real
back-of-the-book indexes for web sites, intranets, help systems,
and other HTML documents.

Includes support for HTML Help and JavaHelp indexing, too!