Re: Does anyone still use WordPerfect?

Subject: Re: Does anyone still use WordPerfect?
From: Sian Petersson <sian -dot- petersson -at- idasys -dot- se>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 09:51:33 +0200

In the town where I live there is a fairly large national government
authority. Until about 18 months ago all employees used WordPerfect. The
Economy department there maintained a lot of large files with loads of
tables. The staff working there are not technical writers, not
computer-lovers and have trouble learning new computer-related things. But
they managed to work with WordPerfect to produce satisfactory documents.

Then some considerate high-up person decided that they whole Authority
should throw out WordPerfect and use MS Word instead, because "that's what
everyone else uses". The result was appalling. Even though the WordPerfect
files were "converted" the result was not at all good and the poor Economy
staff had no idea what to do about their large files and tables. They were
also under pressure to publish these docs on their intranet.

A year ago they gave up and declared Word not good enough for the large
documents. I turned consultant and converted all their large documents to
FrameMaker books. After 12 hours training they can maintain these documents
(with cross refs) and easily publish PDFs on their intranet. A success story
for FrameMaker anyway - the final result being much better than the orginal
WP files.

This incident reflects my opinions of WP, Word and Frame.

/Siân, FrameMaker fanatic
--
Siân Petersson sian -at- idasys -dot- se
Dokumentatör, Ida Systems Ab Tel: +46 13 373727