Comparison of technical documentation production products

Subject: Comparison of technical documentation production products
From: "Tasos Athanasopoulos" <atha -at- intranet -dot- gr>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 14:38:22 +0300

I read yesterday someone's e-mail responce on a question, pointing on a URL
for comparison between Ventura, FrameMaker etc. Do you know maybe a
corresponding comparison between Content Management - Document Publications
Systems based on SGML/XML (i.e. FrameMaker 5+SGML, Arbortext. etc.)?
Our company (active in telecommunications) is looking forward to stop
developing (manufacturing) manually our technical manuals (user's,
operator's manuals) and proceed to more automatic procedures covering
Workflow, Approval and Publishing issues. We are also focusing on standard
document structures (DTDs - Document Type Definitions). The thought is also
to produce the entire manual out of partial documentation based on the
products' components, thus going towards a PDM (Product Data Management)
system.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Regards
Anastassios Athanassopoulos