Translations... dogma or realism?

Subject: Translations... dogma or realism?
From: Bernd Hutschenreuther <bernd -dot- hutschenreuther -at- net-linx -dot- de>
To: Susan Harkus <Susan -dot- Harkus -at- xt3 -dot- com -dot- au>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 15:21:36 +0200

Hi Susan,

I think, really, that translation software may help to understand foreign
texts, and it may help to translate.
But I do not believe, that translation software may replace a human
translator. (As far as I understand it.)

Translation memory software is another kind of software.

Can an automatically produced document really be used as initial version
for deliveries?

Another question may be: Is a document, produced by a "second language"
writer really better (for example, me)?

There are several attempts during history to get automatic translations,
even before invention of computers.

One attempt is to invent a neutral third language as central point for
translations. This seems to be applied now by some of the translation programs.
The babelfish translations are sometimes funny, however you can use them as
a first translation. Translation memory software may be better. Electronic
dictionaries are on a high level now. I like Babylon.
Back to language.
What may be happening, is, the languages may be changing, caused by the
electronic texts... (?)

Best regards
Bernd

Bernd Hutschenreuther / Technical Writer
net-linx Europe GmbH Dresden / mailto:Bernd -dot- Hutschenreuther -at- prepress -dot- de
Kaethe-Kollwitz-Ufer 76 / tel: (+49) 351-31875-732
01309 Dresden, Germany / fax: (+49) 351-31875-550
Home: +49-351-8483427 ;-) mailto:Bernd -dot- Hutschenreuther -at- sz-online -dot- de