RE: Taking advantage of "reflexive" responses in users

Subject: RE: Taking advantage of "reflexive" responses in users
From: "Higgins, Lisa" <LHiggins -at- carrieraccess -dot- com>
To: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 11:14:32 -0600

> So the techwr-l tie-in: A small voice is telling me we could
> use this kind of predictable response in technical communication, but I'm
> drawing a blank right now. Suggestions anyone?

Nope. This kind of predictable response is hijacking, and, while we may be
able to use it briefly to create false impressions of success, we'll
ultimately build resentment and anger in our users.

One of the best clickthrough rates on the web is for a deceptive ad (maybe
Punch the Monkey or that "Your internet connection is not optimized" fake
dialog box), but what does that mean? Some 'sucka VC' will pour some blood
money into your operation to keep it artificially alive long enough for you
to buy some Audi clown car?

Well, to heck with it. In the long run, it'll only create animosity.
Trickery is only valid as a short term business plan.

Of course, though, I know you wouldn't do this, Geoff. I'm just mad at those
stupid Punch the Monkey creeps.

This email may contain confidential and privileged
material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any
unauthorized review, use or distribution by others is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient