RE: Taking advantage of "reflexive" responses in users

Subject: RE: Taking advantage of "reflexive" responses in users
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 13:53:08 -0400

Several points beg to be made here:

1) Geoff never suggested tricking anyone, just finding ways to used
reflexive responses to educate users. My first thought is that such
mechanism, working in combination with "agent" technology would be extremely
useful in interactive tutorials, or very complex processes (such as doing
taxes on-line.

2)It's very arrogant to assume that all technical writing is superior to
advertising and marketing, and that all advertising and marketing is full of
lies and trickery. I can assure you there are just as many examples of bad,
inaccurate and downright deceptive user manuals and on-line help as there
are crappy web sites promoting crappy products.

3)If such techniques are used properly and scripted properly, anger is not
the likely response. For example, if clicking the close button would erase
a set of data entered, such a technique could open another window to allow
the user to save it temporarily, or warn them of the consequences.

MTC

Connie Giordano
From: Higgins, Lisa [mailto:LHiggins -at- carrieraccess -dot- com]

Nope. This kind of predictable response is hijacking,