Re: Taking advantage of "reflexive" responses in users

Subject: Re: Taking advantage of "reflexive" responses in users
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharonburton -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 11:05:20 -0700

When these first scripts started appearing, a friend of my brother reported
them to MacAffee as a virus or trojan. I think it is. I hate few things as
much as I hate the redirects and the script that open new instances of my
brower. A very nasty thing to do to your users.

I was teaching a class on online design a while back and had read that the
porn sites were pushing the envelope of web technology. Despite the warnings
and hype to the contrary, I have never just encountered porn on the web. I
went looking one evening to see what is happening in that world. I was
shocked at the browser takeovers - I wound up with over 30 instances of IE
open. I felt like I was being taken over. It was awful.

I reported to the class that week about the hostile takeover situation and,
ribbings from the students aside, reported that without a credit card, I saw
no technology that was not all over the place on non-porn sites.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
Anthrobytes Consulting
909-369-8590
www.anthrobytes.com
Vice-president, Programs of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org