Re: Transfering files

Subject: Re: Transfering files
From: "David Berg" <dberg -at- dmpnet -dot- com>
To: "Beth Friedman" <bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 17:16:30 -0500

> >Connect two Windows 95 or 98 computers using a serial cable, then open
> >the Start menu and choose Programs, then Accessories, Communications,
> >and Direct Cable Connection. Set up one computer as the host (the one
> >with files you want to transfer) and one computer as the guest (the
> >computer that will receive the transferred files).
>
> Parallel works, too. That's what I use. Note that you do need a special
> cable for it because of the sexes of the plugs. Or is that genders?

Parallel is still slow, but it's several times faster than serial cable
transfers.

If both computers have network cards, just take them off the network
temporarily and setup a simple peer-to-peer Windows network, connecting the
computers directly with a "twisted" Ethernet cable (since you're not running
through a hub you will need a network cable setup a little different than
usual; ask your company network guy). This is much faster than any type of
direct cable connection.

David Berg