Re: WordPerfect v. Word

Subject: Re: WordPerfect v. Word
From: "David Berg" <dberg -at- dmpnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 12:57:25 -0500

> Yes! I STILL use WordPerfect (Corel WordPerfect Office 2000)! I prefer the
> ease of use, reveal codes function, improved (over Word) outlining,
> numbering and macro functions, and other functions far too many to itemize
> here over Word/Microsoft Office 2000.

Since starting the thread about WordPerfect last week, I've enjoyed reading
the numerous responses and opinions. I've had limited exposure to
WordPerfect in the past, mainly with v. 6, and a very small amount with v.7.
After reading a the large number of positive opinions (with only a few
negatives) I was visiting with one of my old college instructors in his
office, and he offered to loan me a copy of Corel Office 2000 to try out.
He'd been given it to evaluate, and it's been collecting dust ever since he
tried it out for a few weeks. It wasn't till later that evening that I
realized that he'd given me the CD in a generic case, without the serial
number. :( I called him the next day, but from the tone in his voice, and
he said he'd try to find the number for me, but from the tone in his voice,
I'm not going to hold my breath. His office might easily be mistaken for a
storeroom, which probably has something to do with why the CD never made it
back into its original case in the first place.

One thing strikes me in the responses about WordPerfect. For all the
disagreement people have over their favorite software for various tasks,
WordPerfect seems to have a lot of people who praise it compared to its
detractors. It sounds like this is yet another area where Microsoft's grasp
on the market has much more to do with Word's prevalence than it's strength
as a product.

David Berg