Re: FWD: Contracting on the side...ethical?

Subject: Re: FWD: Contracting on the side...ethical?
From: Pat Anderson <panders -at- aw -dot- sgi -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:42:16 -0400

>I am employed for a dot.com start-up company as a technical writer. I was
>approached by someone who works for another dot.com in my building, to see
>if I would be interested in contracting with them for technical writing
>work. Is it unethical to consider doing this? I had not sought the work,
>and I am happy in my present job, but I must admit I am intrigued at the
>notion of contracting, and I'd like to find out more. I'd like to know if
>any other Techwhirlers had this situation arise, and how they handled it.

It depends on your answers to the following, Anon:
1. Is the product of the other company in competition with your company's product?
2. Do you have enough time and energy for an outside contract while working full time?
3. Does your employment contract (if you have one) permit you to work at other companies while employed?

...pat.

Pat Anderson,
Documentation Manager, Design Products
Alias|Wavefront
tel: (416) 874-8375
email: panders -at- aw -dot- sgi -dot- com
http://www.aliaswavefront.com