Re:Hiring Criteria and Writing Tests for Technical Writers

Subject: Re:Hiring Criteria and Writing Tests for Technical Writers
From: "Patricia Castin (Trish)" <pcastin -at- dset -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 07:29:30 -0500

I also toss the ones that send me resumes via e-mail with NOTHING other than the resume attachment. No "I'm *so and so* and I would like to be considered for your..." Nothing. DELETE.

Also, one other note on resume sending... When you send your resume to someone, please don't name it "Resume.doc" or "myresume.fm" or some such. Name them something like "firstname_lastname.doc". If you have a long name and are concerned about over 8 characters (or some such) use last name only.

My experience with those who respond to ads for technical writers is that at
least half the respondents make a grammar mistake, a spelling error, or a
typo in their resume or covering letter. Those go straight into the
recycling bin. With the rest, the way the covering letter and resume are
written can tell you more about the candidate than the content.

Trish Castin
Project Lead/Sr. Technical Writer
DSET Corporation
908-526-7500 ext. 1333

"I misplaced my dictionary. Now I'm at a loss for words."

Your web site localized into 32 languages? Maybe not now, but sooner than you think. Download ForeignExchange's FREE paper, "3 steps to successful translation management" at http://www.fxtrans.com/3steps.html?tw.