Re: Am I experienced?

Subject: Re: Am I experienced?
From: Barry Kieffer <bkieffer -at- ims -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, silverspring9235 -at- go -dot- com
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:39:32 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings Martha,

In technical writing (or so it seems) getting your first job is the big hurdle.

In the time you spent at your present job you should have built up a portfolio
that proves you can do the job. For most interviews, that is the big piece (the
portfolio that is).

> The place I've been working during the day has paid me very well.
> How much experience can I legitimately claim? Does 6 months of simultaneously
working two jobs add up to a year?

> (Sure feels like it!) Can I expect commensurate big bucks? All feedback is
gratefully accepted.
> Martha

As far as that goes, I have been doing technical writing for more then 7 years,
and I know people who have been technical writing for more than 10 years, we are
all still chasing the "commensurate big bucks" <grin>.

Be happy you are getting paid to do something you enjoy, don't worry too much
about the compensation.

Regards,

Barry Kieffer
Senior Technical Writer