RE: A Request for Some Help

Subject: RE: A Request for Some Help
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: jameseleary -at- yahoo -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 16:33:36 -0400

Technical Writing Survey for those who HIRE and FIRE
technical writers

Job Title: Documentation
Manager
Name (Optional): John Garison
Contact Phone Number (Optional): 978-402-2907
Business/Corporation/Company (Optional): http://www.ide.com

***

Please evaluate the statements in PART A according to the
following scale:

1 = Always False
2 = Sometimes False
3 = Undecided
4 = Sometimes True
5 = Always True

PART A

You hire technical writers who have gained no experience in
the field prior to employment within your business/corporation/company:
1 - I work for a start-up and we require people with experience. As we grow,
I may consider more junior or even entry-level positions.

You hire technical writers who have experience in technical
writing:
5

You feel an applicant with a strong portfolio of experience is more
attractive than an applicant with certification in technical writing from a
college, university, or technical school:
4

Most members of your technical writing staff have obtained their experience
within 100 miles of your location:
4

Applicants who have earned a certificate in technical writing from a
college, university , or technical school but have no experience in the
field are more attractive to you as an employer than applicants with no
experience and no certification:
2

Members of your technical writing staff hold degrees in areas other than
technical writing:
4

Members of your technical writing staff hold no degree:
2

Members of your technical writing staff hold a degree of higher rank than
Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science:
2

***

Please evaluate the statements in PART B according to the
following scale:

1 = Never
2 = Sometimes
3 = Always

PART B

You feel that new technical writers you employ are not completely prepared
for the position
through their education:
3

You would hire a technical writer who has gained no experience in the field:

1 - See comment above

You feel that colleges, universities, and technical schools should work with
businesses and
corporations to decide the educational curriculum for future technical
writers:
2

***

Please answer the questions in PART C with short phrases,
lists, or sentences:

PART C

What is the most valuable skill(s) you look for in a technical writer?

Attitude- willing to learn, try, achieve

If you were asked to help decide topics for an introductory technical
writing course at a college, university, or technical school, which key
topics would you suggest?

I have been teaching (adjunct faculty) at local universities for 18 years in
technical writing programs. I have a full syllabus - email me and I'll send
you a copy.

What is the most common mistake that technical writers in your employment
make?
They all make different ones!

***end***