Re: What do we call this button?

Subject: Re: What do we call this button?
From: Dan Emory <danemory -at- primenet -dot- com>
To: "Newman, Sarah" <snewman -at- bechtel -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 12:01:38 -0700

At 01:00 PM 10/18/00 -0500, Newman, Sarah wrote:

Hi,

We have a minor controversy going here, and I hope some of you can give us
some input. I searched the archives but didn't find anything related.

The program we're documenting has numerous fields where you can directly
enter a value or you can select one from a list. To get to the list, you
click a button to the right of the field with an ellipsis (...) on it. This
brings up a separate dialog box with the list and an OK button.

We have been referring to this as the ellipsis (...) button (e.g. "Click the
ellipsis button and select the item from the list"). However, the developers
want to call it the list button. We have a colorful former colleague who
referred to this button as the "three dot button". I suppose we could write
around a name (e.g., "click the button to the right of the field"), but this
adds to the bulkiness of an already very long book.
Of course most users probably won't know what an ellipsis is,
so that's a confusing name. But "list button" is equally confusiing,
since there is no such named button. Why not just call it what is is,
namely, "Click the ... button to the right of the field"
| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
Voice/Fax: 949-722-8971 E-Mail: danemory -at- primenet -dot- com
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646
majordomo -at- omsys -dot- com with "subscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.